Sunday, January 17, 2010

What's the verdict?


Hey guys, in case you haven't figured, it's Kobe(s) here. I'm going to clear one thing up before we begin. A lot of people have been asking about our pages, and whether we have facebook. And we do. What you have to do is go to Facebook and search Kobe(s) and Khan. Find the group, and join it. But it doesn't stop there. Tell your friends. Tell everyone. If you won a million dollars, would you hide it to yourself? No! You'd tell friends and family. So tell them all! Anyhow, today's topic is a doozy, and it's an opinionated one. Here it is: With the advent of the YCJA, should we publish the names of young offenders in media?


Personally, in my opinion, I think no. I wouldn't want someone judging me based on the fact that i've committed a crime. But there are limits. For example, what if someone commits murder? What if the offender sexually assaulted someone? Here in Alberta, I think a year or two back, a 13 year old Medicine Hat girl and her boyfriend murdered her family members. Here's the deal; we don't know her identity. Now, logic states that because I don't know this girl, I've got one of two options;

a) I can be afraid of all the girls I meet (which is stupid. Look at me, I'm a guy)
b) I can treat all the girls I meet fairly and equally, which is probably better than running away from them.

With option b), I don't generalize against anyone, and no one feels hurt or stereotyped.


If you haven't figured out already, I'm black. My culture's notorious for the whole street gang offender thing. As far as I know, that's not me. I would not want to be treated in the same way as a criminal is. If you saw a young black offender on t.v. (but don't know their name) and are going to treat me like dirt because of that, I'm going to be pretty darn angry. Equality for all, yeah, yeah. I know, it sounds cheesy. But the YCJA was intended to protect young offenders, and who knows? Maybe if we treat everyone good, then we'll have less offenders. Kobe(s) out!

No comments:

Post a Comment